Friday, May 4, 2007

Knock, knock....lab.


Word on the street is that today is going to be my last phlebotomy shift. Huge sigh of relief. I've been being hated by almost all patients for the last three years, and that is too long. No one is ever happy to see you, because no one likes having their blood drawn. It really does start to wear on you after a while. I'm very much excited to not have any patient interaction any more. Don't get me wrong, there are some people I've met over the years who have just brightened my day. Amazing, I think. I will miss folks like that. It is the idiots who are mean that I will not miss. It is funny, because common conversation among phlebo's is how some patients are automatically mean to us when we come in, because don't they realize that we have a needle, and are about to draw their blood? I would think someone would want to be nice to a person who is about ready to stick a needle in them. Who knows...
So tonight I will clean out my little tray and take my little dangling eyeballs off of it. I am trying to figure out who to pass them on to, they are kinda well-known around the hospital. Plus, I have two lucky pennies in my tray too. They've been with me at least two and a half of the last three phlebotomizing years. Who shall I pass those on to? Ugh, choices. As much as I hate to admitt it, tonight may be a little bittersweet. Now I'm going to have to be one of those "professionals". Yikes!
"Okee dokee, here's a pokey."

No comments:

Contributors